Save the date: Fashion Colloquium
The conference Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury (May 31 – June 1 in Arnhem) will explore new definitions of ‘luxury’ against the backdrop of urgent environmental and social issues.
The conference is organised by ArtEZ University of the Arts, in collaboration with State of Fashion. Academic partners are London College of Fashion, Wageningen University & Research, and Radboud University Nijmegen. ArtEZ studium generale is involved as program advisor for the colloquium and in the publication that will be launched later this year (in collaboration with ArtEZ Press).
Fashion is in dire need of more value-based critical thinking as well as design-driven research to thoroughly explore, disrupt, redefine and transform the system. During this two-day conference we will collectively investigate how to move towards a fashion reality that addresses ethics, inclusivity and responsible consumerism in a more engaged way. Design, imagination and aesthetics are essential to express these values and to envision a more ethical engagement with the material objects that surround our bodies. The ‘Fashion Colloquium: Searching for the New Luxury’ will explore how we can transition to a more resilient future of fashion together.
More than 30 international academics and creative practitioners will present their research on themes such as new materials, design for closed loops, aesthetic sustainability and emotional connectivity, redefining value systems, new business models and forms of organization, and the importance of agency in moving towards a more resilient future. We will collectively engage in in-depth discussions on how to develop innovative approaches that help to create systemic change.
The first confirmed keynote speakers are:
– Kristine Harper, researcher and lecturer at KEA Copenhagen School of Design and Technology | author of ‘Aesthetic Sustainability – Product Design and Sustainable Usage’ (2017)
– Oskar Metsavaht, founder and style director of Brazilian fashion brand Osklen | founder of Instituto-E, a non-profit organization based in Brazil that encourages sustainable human development, with projects including the development of socially and environmentally friendly fabrics
– Timotheus Vermeulen, Associate Professor in Media, Culture and Society at University of Oslo | founder of the arts and culture platform Notes on Metamodernism
– Otto von Busch, Associate Professor of Integrated Design, School of Design Strategies, Parsons, The New School | fashion artist, hacktivist, theorist and designer
– Pascale Gatzen, Head of the MA Fashion Design at ArtEZ University of the Arts | artist, educator and fashion designer | founder of the workers cooperative ‘friends of light’
– Orsola de Castro, founder and creative director of global movement Fashion Revolution | founder and designer upcycling fashion label From Somewhere | initiator Esthetica at London Fashion Week | creator Reclaim To Wear | associate lecturer at University of the Arts London
For more information on the Fashion Colloquium, have a look at the website or visit our events page.
Registration opens on April 1.
Searching for the New Luxury
conference31 May '18